So Cal Broncos Community Forums

Welcome, Guest! Register a free account today to become a member and participate in the discussion.

Hungry Valley SVRA (Gorman)

Meshyf

Small Member
Anyone ever been here? Is it a good place to practice and tool around?

I know they have a practice area but are there some decent beginner trails to run? I was thinking about spending Saturday monring running around.
Anyone interested?

MJT isn't within the SVRA's boundries, but it is very close by. The top of Alamo Mtn is a nice area

Two pics of Patch in yer pics there Dusty. :)

What about the MJT run that we did make, any pics from that? I have a few that were taken by others:

i-wJTQfFM.jpg

Showing off my buggy's superior articulation:
i-Vhwt45M.jpg

i-sQ4bJPT-L.jpg

i-hb5CJjN-L.jpg

Both of those young men who wanted a ride in the buggy would be adults now. We're not old, we're not, we're not, we're not!

I live near by and have been there a bunch, but it was years ago as well. As someone mentioned Miller Jeep Trail is iconic, although I hear that they have made changes over the years. Same with Lockwood Creek. Maybe it’s time for another run to the area to check it out! There are some easy trails within Hungry Valley OHV, along with camping and, also as mention a rock crawling practice area.

There was the initial re-routing of Lockwood Creek Trail to get it up out of the water. That must have been at least 30 years ago? I'll guess that there have been incremental changes made since then, but no idea what they might be.
I also dimly recall that after a rash of rolls on the ledge obstacle on MJT a number of years ago that it got some changes, but I've not been up there to look at it since.

From what I recall of driving the buggy around the OHV park itself is that there wasn't much interesting for a 4x4 vehicle except for the Training Area. Perhaps that has changed in the intervening years, but when there are interesting trails in that general area that don't require a fee to enter (Let's NOT get started on the "Adventure Pass") like Lockwood/MJT, Qaatal Cyn., Apache Cyn., Dome Springs, Brush Mtn., San Emidgio Jeep Trail, etc. I've not been too inclined pay the entry fee to find out.

I took a look at the maps, etc, and it looks like they have sort of renamed the first part of Miller Jeep Trail Lockwood Creek. You can get on Lockwood Creek without entering the OHV park off Lockwood Creek Rd., so no worries there. It travels along what used to be MJT for a while, and ends at the "base' of what's now MJT. At the end of MJT it looks like there's a dirt road that takes you into the OHV (no rangers there) and you can travel out of the park to the freeway again, no fees involved. If you prefer to travel from the Sw end, which mean entering the OHV, if you tell the rangers your just going through and not using the OHV, they should let you in without paying a fee.

That's a point of common confusion. Most folks think that MJT starts here. It does not and never did. The confusion comes from the fact that in a 4x4 there is only one off road trail option at that starting point. The first portion of the route originally followed the Lockwood Creek Trail and now follows the Lockwood Creek Trail Re-Route. The actual MJT starts here and goes up to the top of Alamo Mtn. here. In a 4x4 it is basically one route, but it traverses two trails. The reason for the distinction is that there are other trails in the area for motorcycles that all intersect these two trails.

I've gone in from the OHV side and that is exactly what the Ranger's did. That was quite a few years ago so I've no idea if they will still do so or not.

That's a point of common confusion. Most folks think that MJT starts here. It does not and never did. The confusion comes from the fact that in a 4x4 there is only one off road trail option at that starting point. The first portion of the route originally followed the Lockwood Creek Trail and now follows the Lockwood Creek Trail Re-Route. The actual MJT starts here and goes up to the top of Alamo Mtn. here. In a 4x4 it is basically one route, but it traverses two trails. The reason for the distinction is that there are other trails in the area for motorcycles that all intersect these two trails.

I've gone in from the OHV side and that is exactly what the Ranger's did. That was quite a few years ago so I've no idea if they will still do so or not.
Very interesting. I think it time to make a run and check out the changes! 😎

Please support the businesses that support So Cal Broncos!

Latest resources

Back