So Cal Broncos Community Forums

Welcome, Guest! Register a free account today to become a member and participate in the discussion.

Questions about lifting a Sas 6G

terrynsd

Small Member
OK, i need some knowledge dropped on me. Im pretty new to the off road game and the learning curve has been pretty steep. I have a '22 Wildtrak and i pretty sure that i will want to go with 37" tires eventually. So my understanding is that i will need a 3" lift to accomplish this, so my question is, what is the best but most reasonable way to accomplish this. Is it a bad idea to do the perch collars? does that negatively affect the ride or travel length? Does a 3" lift put the steering components in jeopardy?
Any suggestions or input is greatly appreciated.
BTW, i actually wheel this Bronco so it needs to be ready to go off road :)(y)
Thanks

I’m also interested in this answer. I picked up two spare tie rods and will probably implement the braces and steering collar upgrade if and when I go to 37s

Perch collars are OK, but I wouldn't want to try to get the entire 3" of lift from a perch collar alone. They give you lift at the expense of available down-travel. Instead, I'd look at one of the 2-piece spacer lifts that splits the lift amount between spring pre-load (perch collar or pre-load spacer) and top hat spacer. The ICON 3" spacer lift splits the lift amount between a pre-load spacer and a top-hat spacer. That preserves more down-travel while not giving it too much down-travel (as would a kit that was entirely in the top-hat spacer) that it could damage the CV's.

Complete coilovers (King, Fox, ICON, etc.) are of course the best way to get lift height along with full travel and better shock/spring performance, but those are quite a bit more expensive than a spacer lift. Somewhere in between would be ICON's new EXP shock, which is a replacement for the stock shock but re-uses the stock spring and upper mount. They have adjustable lift height built in. I have them on my 2-door Base now (I used to have the ICON spacer kit) and they work great.

Ok, I decided to pull the tigger on the ICON Exp's and new UCA's. The bad news is the delivery eta is 10-14 weeks. Luckily thanks to FMC i am pretty good at waiting:sneaky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Thanks for your help Dusty👊

OK, so, once you get that Bronco lifted, and especially if you go to 37"+ tires, and plan any kind of serious off-roading, you are probably going to find that you want to beef up the tie rods and the steering box. It seems that those components on a stock Bronco aren't designed to handle the lift and larger tires. You can get something like this for the tie rods and something like this to help with the steering rack from Wild Horses. There are other solutions out there, but Wild Hourses supports So Cal Broncos, so I suggest you give them your business regardless of which one you go with. :)

Thanks BadSquatch, from what i have been reading that is solid advice. i'm planning on waiting until i wear out the stock 35's before i make the decision wether or not to go with the larger tires. Never thought wanting bigger tires would lead me down such a rabbit hole :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Thanks BadSquatch, from what i have been reading that is solid advice. i'm planning on waiting until i wear out the stock 35's before i make the decision wether or not to go with the larger tires. Never thought wanting bigger tires would lead me down such a rabbit hole :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Welcome to the great wide world of off-roading! :cool: There's ALWAYS something more/else you can do to your Bronco! But, in terms of this, it's simple engineering, once you beef up one area, the weak points simply move elsewhere. BTW, you could get started on beefing up the tie rods and the steering rack now, while. you're still running 35s' to help spread out the costs. Also, there's no such thing as too much strength. Best of luck, and have a great time with your Bronco. Remember, they are made to get dirty!

Update on the lift. So i decided to go with the ICON Stage 3 with the tubular UCA's. Just got it installed today (thanks Lifestyle Garage (y)) It came out real nice.it should be plenty of room for the 37's if (when) i decide to go that route. I also installed the sway bar disconnects from ACfab.

Please support the businesses that support So Cal Broncos!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back