So Cal Broncos Community Forums

Welcome, Guest! Register a free account today to become a member and participate in the discussion.

Crust-o-ration

Budd Roadster

Small Member
I bought my first Bronco, a '66 Budd co. U13 Roadster during the covid lockdown, it's been keeping me sane all this time. The truck is original paint (Arcadian Blue), and has 27K original miles. Some original parts started to go missing or were removed, but fortunately the seller kept many of them.

I have been doing a sympathetic restoration of the truck, or what I like to call a "crust-o-ration". That is returning the crusty bits that have gone missing or repatriating original parts that were removed by the previous owner after rebuilding or rehabbing them.

I'm getting close to completion now, but here are some photos of how it's looked during the process.

So far, some upgrades/replacement parts include a complete set of original paint, stamped '66 Kelsey Hayes riveted steel wheels, (the seller replaced them with powder coated steel wheels), rebuilding and repatriating the 10 screw, dual canister Carter fuel pump, correct, original steering wheel, visors, '66 only front bumper, removing paint from the '66 only dash pad, recovering the seat with the correct, matchstick material, etc.

It's nearing completion, and I will post pix here when it's completely back to all original, un-restored.

Attachments

• Bronco orig wheels.jpg
    Bronco orig wheels.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 5
  • BRONCO ARROYO (2).JPG
    BRONCO ARROYO (2).JPG
    220.3 KB · Views: 5
  • BRONCO ARROYO (4).JPG
    BRONCO ARROYO (4).JPG
    210.3 KB · Views: 5
  • GSLK7364.JPG
    GSLK7364.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 4
I bought my first Bronco, a '66 Budd co. U13 Roadster during the covid lockdown, it's been keeping me sane all this time. The truck is original paint (Arcadian Blue), and has 27K original miles. Some original parts started to go missing or were removed, but fortunately the seller kept many of them.

I have been doing a sympathetic restoration of the truck, or what I like to call a "crust-o-ration". That is returning the crusty bits that have gone missing or repatriating original parts that were removed by the previous owner after rebuilding or rehabbing them.

I'm getting close to completion now, but here are some photos of how it's looked during the process.

So far, some upgrades/replacement parts include a complete set of original paint, stamped '66 Kelsey Hayes riveted steel wheels, (the seller replaced them with powder coated steel wheels), rebuilding and repatriating the 10 screw, dual canister Carter fuel pump, correct, original steering wheel, visors, '66 only front bumper, removing paint from the '66 only dash pad, recovering the seat with the correct, matchstick material, etc.

It's nearing completion, and I will post pix here when it's completely back to all original, un-restored.
Did you happen to buy in vista California?

Finding an original "pencil" padded dash for the '66 only was a challenge. I found one but it was painted so I've been stripping it. Here are some pix of my progress. Still have some work to do, but it's coming along.

Attachments

• 175.JPG
    175.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 174.JPG
    174.JPG
    196.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 173.JPG
    173.JPG
    217.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 172.JPG
    172.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 171.JPG
    171.JPG
    222.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 176.JPG
    176.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 4
Yes, Arcadian Blue. It's original, factory applied paint on this rig. I have only seen one other original paint Roadster. I know a few exist out there but most early broncos seem to be cut, modified and repainted. I'm going for the completely original, un-restored look here.

Please support the businesses that support So Cal Broncos!

Latest resources

Back