So Cal Broncos Community Forums

Welcome, Guest! Register a free account today to become a member and participate in the discussion.

BBBBXXII - SUNDAY RUN LIST & SIGNUPS

Choose your SUNDAY run for BBBBXXII

• 9:00am JOHN BULL TRAIL (DIFICULT) - Stage: Van Dusen Cyn Rd - Leader: DIY

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9:00am HOLCOMB CREEK TRAIL (DIFICULT) - Stage: Fawnskin Fire Station - Leader: DIY

• 9:00am GOLD MOUNTAIN (DIFICULT) - Stage: Gold Mountain Trailhead - Leader: DIY

• Total voters

Dusty

I Started This Gangsta Shit
So Cal Broncos OG
THIS THREAD/POLL WILL FUNCTION AS OUR SIGNUP SHEET! Please indicate your Run Choice for SUNDAY of Bronco Bash, June 11, 2023, by casting your "vote" in this poll. This vote is not binding, you may change your choice at any time. This just gives us an idea of how many people are interested in this run, and if it needs a run leader or can be left as a DIY run. Please note the TIME and STAGE area for each run. The TIME noted is the time the run leader will leave the staging area for the trail, so please show up in plenty of time to be ready to leave at that time, including any necessary bullshitting, tire kicking, etc. Show up at the staging area already FUELED UP and ready to go.

IMPORTANT: Details for each run are in the next post below. Further information on the various trails, along with maps, photos from past runs, descriptions and difficulty notes, can be found HERE. A list of Staging areas with their exact locations can be found HERE. If you have any questions or want to chat with other members about any of the Friday runs, please feel free to do so here in this thread.

RUNS LIMITED TO 20 VEHICLES. Please choose a different run if the one you're thinking of is already close to 20 rigs. While we can't enforce this, we hope everyone will be courteous and help us spread out our impact on the trail system. EXCEPTION: The ALAN ROWE Memorial Run will have no vehicle limit.

DIY RUNS Several of our proposed runs did not attract a volunteer Run Leader. I have left these on the list as "DIY" runs. That means you are still welcome to run it, but you will be on your own for navigation. If you decide to do one of these DIY runs, please show up at the designated staging area and time and join up with any others who still want to go. Someone among you will need to find your way for the group. This isn't that difficult. Many of the trails have detailed information on the So Cal Broncos static web page or a GPX file I may have provided as a download. If you show up and you are the only one, I suggest choosing something else to do as we do not recommend wheeling out in the back-country alone.

Last edited:
SUNDAY RUNS

OVERLAND DOWN THE MOUNTAIN

Run Leader: Joerg Hallbauer @BadSquatch
Staging: 9:00am departure from the Brownie Lane overflow parking lot (click for map)
This run is offered as a fun way to get back down the hill after Big Bear Bear Bronco Bash, rather than just driving up the highway. It starts out with Wildhorse Meadows (Trail Info) then continues on down the Front Line Road (Trail Info) to Seven Oaks. From there it winds up Middle Control Road to Highway 38 at Angelus Oaks. One final section of forest road winds through 1N12 Thomas Hunting Grounds and finally rejoins Highway 38 at the bottom of the hill in Mill Creek Canyon, just above Mentone. For those who did the "Overland to Big Bear" route on Friday, this route covers none of the same ground, resulting in almost 100 total miles of off-highway adventure.​

ALAN ROWE MEMORIAL RUN Click Here for Trail Info
Run Leader: Dusty Sharp @Dusty
Staging: 9:00am departure from Vons Supermarket parking lot (click for map)
The Alan Rowe monument was placed at the top of Heartbreak Ridge on Memorial Day, 2005, by your brothers and sisters of So Cal Broncos, and dedicated a few weeks later at Big Bear Bronco Bash IV. The monument honors So Cal Broncos brother, Major Alan Rowe of the United States Marine Corps, who was killed in action in Iraq in 2004. We have made the Alan Rowe Memorial Run on Sunday of every Big Bear Bronco Bash since then. This is hallowed ground for So Cal Broncos, and a must-do trip for every member of our disorganization. The trail is rocky, with some long sustained climbs to test your cooling system. Also known as “Pontiac Sluice” due to the old car that sits abandoned in a wash along the way, the trail has no Forest Service road number designation.​

GOLD MOUNTAIN Click Here for Trail Info
Run Leader: DIY​
Staging: 9:00am departure from the Gold Mountain trailhead (click for map)
THIS IS A "DIY" RUN. As there was no volunteer run leader, you may still run this trail but you will be on your own for navigation.
Gold Mountain is located northeast of Big Bear Lake, along the north shore of Baldwin Dry Lake. We used to classify Gold Mountain as a Medium Trail, but deterioration of the most challenging obstacle on the trail pushes it slightly into the Difficult category. The trail runs the length of Forest Road 3N69 from the shore of Baldwin Dry Lake, up steep switchbacks, over rocky ledges and across the barren talus slope to the peak of Gold Mountain, and down the north side to where it ends at 3N16. This trail may still be considered Medium Difficulty when ran in the north-to-south direction.​

JOHN BULL Click Here for Trail Info
THIS IS A "DIY" RUN. As there was no volunteer run leader, you may still run this trail but you will be on your own for navigation.
One of Big Bear’s toughest trails, “Big” John Bull (to differentiate it from “Little” John Bull, which is included in the Medium Trails section), traverses Forest Service Road 3N10 from it’s junction with Union Flat Rd (3N32) on the east end, to 3N43 on the west. The trail is slightly easier in the west-to-east direction, as most of the rocky sections are downhill. In either direction expect scraped up rims and dented rocker panels if not properly protected.​

HOLCOMB CREEK Click Here for Trail Info
Staging: 9:00am departure from the Fawnskin Fire Station (click for map)
Forest Service Road 3N93 runs along Holcomb Creek, from its intersection with the easy, well-traveled 3N14 on the east end north of Fawnskin, until it meets with 3N16 at its west end north of Green Valley Lake. The trail may be ran in either direction, with several major and minor rock gardens, creek crossings and hill climbs along the way. This is arguably the toughest trail in the mountaintop section of the Big Bear area. If time permits it can be run in both directions, or tack on Lower Large Flats (Trail Info) for the return trip.​

Last edited:
@Dusty I see you don't have a leader for the Overland Down The Mountain run. I've hit most of those trails before, so I would be happy to lead it if you're still looking for a leader.

@Dusty I see you don't have a leader for the Overland Down The Mountain run. I've hit most of those trails before, so I would be happy to lead it if you're still looking for a leader.
Awesome @BadSquatch! I'll put you down for it :) Thanks for volunteering to lead so many runs! I'll have an ONX/GPX file for that route soon. It is unaffected by the current closures.

Awesome @BadSquatch! I'll put you down for it :) Thanks for volunteering to lead so many runs! I'll have an ONX/GPX file for that route soon. It is unaffected by the current closures.
No worries, happy to help. The gpx file (yes, I have OnX) will help since the names of the trails are sometimes kind of confusing when I look at it on OnX.

No worries, happy to help. The gpx file (yes, I have OnX) will help since the names of the trails are sometimes kind of confusing when I look at it on OnX.

Hey Joerg I'm working on the GPX file for the Overland to Big Bear run on Friday, and I'll share it with you when it's ready since it uses the very same route as the Overland Down The Mountain run you're leading on Sunday. I might not get it done tonight but you'll have it before the Bash starts :)

@BadSquatch I saw on the FB group that you've seen the Route B file for the Overland route. It has occurred to me that if you want to divert to Clark's Grade rather than Wildhorse, you can do that if you know the way since it's open now. Stage in the same spot but come back over to Mill Creek Road to get to Clark's, then you'll meet the original Route B at the bottom of Clark's and keep going from there. It's just something to consider if you want, now that Clark's is open, if you want to change it up a little for those who already did the route on the Overland Up run. Its up to you of course.

That’s a great idea! I’ll play with OnX and make sure I have it all mapped out. That’s the A route then right?

That’s a great idea! I’ll play with OnX and make sure I have it all mapped out. That’s the A route then right?
No, the A route uses 1N09 and Alder Creek Road down to highland, but the two routes come very close together at the bottom of Clark's. I suggest sticking with Route B but just subbing in Clark's for Wildhorse. The reason is that Kurt Gerum pre-ran the lower part of Route A and he believes the storm damage has made it too sketchy in a few places for novices. He said there are a few washouts land slides across the road in places.

Please support the businesses that support So Cal Broncos!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back